Skip to text

Current Vessels

Vessel Name:Lizzie
Builder:Edwin Bailey
Place built:Wellington
Year built:1909
Construction:Carvel kauri on birch
Beam:7' 6"
Rig:Gaff sloop
Displacement:1000 kg
Owners:Wellington Classic Yacht Trust (2010- ); Graeme and Annette Robertson (Lyttelton, 1977-1986, Auckland, 1986-19??); Bernie Wilson (Lyttelton, 1975-1977); Richard Johnstone (Lyttelton, 1968-1975); Owen Tracy Gough (Lyttelton, 1968); Harry Collett (Lyttelton, 1949-19??);  Cliff Heron (Lyttelton, 1937-1949) V. J. M. Boulton (Wellington, 1927-??); R. L. Button and W. W. Waddilove (Wellington, ca 1922-1927); Ian Tringham (Wellington, 1920-ca 1922); Charlie Neal (Wellington, 1912-1920); C J Ward (Wellington, 1909-1912)

Notes:Built for C J Ward of Wellington. Topsides raised 18" by Cliff Heron in 1937/8. Restored to original configuration by the Wellington Classic Yacht Trust 2010-2012.

Photos: Ward family collection
Photos: Known as Linnet
Photos: Tringham family collection
Lines drawn by Robin Aitken
Bruce Askew's initial restoration report
An article by Gavin Pascoe
The first article below is contemporary and factual. The second article makes a lot of erroneous assumptions about her early years.
NZ Yachtsman 02 Nov. 1912
Traditional boats June 1987
Follow her restoration on facebook

Photo source:NZ Yachtsman 02 November 1912
Vessel Name:Atalanta
Builder:C. & W. Bailey
Place built:Auckland
Year built:1894
Construction:Centreboarder with a lead keel shoe
Rig:Gaff cutter
Owners:Wellington Classic Yacht Trust (Wellington, 2013-); Julian Matson (Marlborough and Port Chalmers, ca. 1980-2013); Bob Harris (Wellington, 1974-ca. 1980): Pat Millar (Wellington, 1962 - 1974); Jack Cox (Wellington, 19??-1962); Hugh Askew (Wellington, ca. 1945-1951); Cliff Cunningham (Wellington, ca1937-1944); M. Y. Lamb (Wellington, 1936-??); Basil Tonks and McCrory (Wellington, ??-1931-1936); Fred Hendry (Wellington, ??-1928-??);  Hill Brothers (Wellington, 1921-1926-??); Hill and Walker/Adams (Wellington, 1920-??); D. Beaumont, Ralph Aslin, and D. Porter  (Wellington, 1913-1920); Messrs Jones and Ingram (Wellington, 19??-1913); W. Hales (Wellington, 1902-1909-??); Otto Schwartz (Wellington, 1897-1902); Winstanley (Wellington, 1895-1897);  Charles Canning & Smith (Napier, 1894-1895)

Notes:Donated to WCYT by Julian Matson 2013. Centreboard configuration changed to external lead ballast 1914. Auxilliary (Overlander 4 cyl.) added 1927. Converted to Bermuda rig 1938. Lead external ballast lowered and rig increased 1945. Fred Hendry was VC of RPNYC. Often referred to as "Atlanta".
Article by Gavin Pascoe
View Lines
View image gallery
Ben Amor's sealed orders
Survey Report by Bruce Askew
Restoration Plan

Photo source:Alexander Turnbull Library