Welcome > HISTORY AND RESOURCES > Thorndon Yacht Club
Thorndon Yacht Club
The Thorndon Yacht Club was created in 1889 by yacht owners to provide facilities for owners and crews to store gear and socialise. This was in the period when the clubs of the region had no facilities of their own. The Thorndon Yacht Club did no administration in the sport. It was more like a private club for men with an interest in yachting. However, they were flag officers of different clubs in the region.
It acted as patron and provided facilities for the Thorndon Dinghy Sailing Club, which operated from 1903-1910. The clubs used the same burgee.
The Thorndon Yacht Club ceased operations in 1912.
The material below is sourced from the Alexander Turnbull Library.