Skip to text
Welcome > HISTORY AND RESOURCES > Classic Yacht Database
Vessel Name:Elaine
Place built:Tasmania
Year lost:1901
LOA:40 (see notes)
LWL:28 (see notes)
Beam:7, 6 (see notes)
Rig:Gaff cutter
Owners:John Coutts (Wellington, 1882-1902); Messrs. McDermott and Tarleton (Wellington, 1882)

Notes:Whaleboat imported 1882. Clinker built, LOA 28'; Beam 6,6, yawl-rigged with two centreboards. Renamed Carina ca. 1888. Significantly rebuilt to Coutts' design by Paul and Roberts at Clyde Quay in 1889 when the keel and forefoot were changed, external ballast and converted to cutter rig; and 1894/5 after running aground hull planking replaced. 1898 topside timbers replaced and was lengthened, new rig, fiddle bow and counter added. Dimensions above are the 1895 version. Broken up 1901. Finished life kauri planked carvel, LOA 40', beam 7,6. Coutts was one of the founders of the Port Nicholson Yacht Club.
Photo source:Alexander Turnbull Library