Welcome > HISTORY AND RESOURCES > Wellington Regatta Club
Wellington Regatta Club
The Wellington Regatta Club was created in 1841 to act as administrators for the Wellington Anniversary regattas. By default, in time they became adjudicators in challenge match racing as yachting became increasingly popular and accessible from the 1870s.
The Port Nicholson Yacht Club was formed to cater to this development, and the Regatta Club continued to organise the annual Anniversary Regattas. This was in turn taken up by the Port Nicholson Yacht Club ca. 1893, and the Wellington Regatta Club was dissolved.